**This post contains affiliate links. This means, if you make a purchase through any of these links, we’ll receive a small portion of your purchase at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting the brands that support Freshly Married!
Have you ever thought about creativity in your relationship? Hearing that might have some of you thinking, “Uh-oh… I’m not artsy or crafty whatsoever! How is this going to apply to me?” Before you get worried, know that creativity is more than arts and crafts, decorating, music, designing, drawing, or writing. It’s also about imagination, thinking outside of the box, and reinventing something conventional.
Take this example with baking cookies: You could totally roll them into the typical ball shape so they come out of the oven in a basic flat circle. But isn’t it more beautiful and more fun to use cookie cutters and bake them into fun shapes and objects?! Creativity is turning a cookie into a work of art; turning the ordinary into the extraordinary. We can do the same in our relationships, and we can do it on a regular basis to keep things fresh!
What Creativity Means to us
Both my husband and I have artistic talents, but we have different ways we apply them in our lives, and I love that about us! I tend to be loud in the arts and crafts while he calms me with simplicity and innovation, and we complement each other in this way. Looking back at our first dates, there were many creative things we did together such painting at the park, building a dominoes track, and carving pumpkins. And we even gave each other gifts that displayed our artistic talents, like tying fleece blankets and drawing/paintingn pictures for each other!
As I’ve thought more about what “creativity” means, it’s allowed me to see these different ways that we bring color, imagination, and unique ideas into our lives and our relationship. Below are three little tips for applying creativity in your own relationship!
- Take time to research some fun activities to do together. Going along with this, put a little more thought process into your gift-giving to each other, being more calculated and meaningful.
- Don’t be afraid to tap into that sentimental side to create a special celebration, gift, memory, or experience for each other.
- Go back to the basics of being a kid again, doing those simple, yet entertaining activities you did as kids such as rollerblading or drawing with sidewalk chalk.
Try this out
If you feel that you could be more creative in your relationship or want to have a fun conversation with your partner about the creativity in your relationship, I encourage you to do the following exercise:
EXERCISE: Take time discussing these questions that will allow you to connect further. I hope that throughout your conversation you discover your creative strengths and find more ways to utilize them to enhance your relationship!
- What is a way that we each bring creativity into our relationship?
- When was a time your partner demonstrated creativity in a gift they gave you?
- When was a time your partner demonstrated creativity in a date activity they planned?
- When has your partner turned something ordinary into something special?
- How can we continue being creative together in the future?
I hope that by having this conversation with your partner, you are able to connect more, further your friendship and love for each other, and get you inspired about ways you can bring in more creativity to your relationship!
Pieces of this article were featured in the September 2018 themed date box from Date Night In! If you’re interested in having planned and guided date nights delivered to you every month, check them out! As part of this date, we did our own little paint nite, video-guided by an artist helping us each paint half of a full painting! We had fun doing our own interpretations and then connected them!
If you are interested in turning this article into a date, you could grab one of these paint by numbers for adults kits that I think would be cool to do as a couple!